Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THE LANCASTER LOOKING UP LADDER



After considering several different constructs within the area of well-being, I have decided to design a new basic way to measure varying levels of individual happiness. The reason for this choice is based on a personal belief that some people seem to be so happy that they could emotionally combust while others, are so unhappy that they wish they had never been born at all.

In order to acquire research data, I have also designed an instrument called the Lancaster Looking Up Ladder. This is a written questionnaire that rates individual levels of happiness, which are based on the following 1 through 6 rating scale:

1 = slightly agree
2 = moderately agree 
3 = strongly agree
4 = slightly disagree
5 = moderately disagree
6 = strongly disagree


There are also 10 basic questions that will be used to acquire individual rating scores. These are as follows:

1. I’m not impressed with the person that I am.

2. I am way more interested in other people than in myself.

3. I feel like my life is extremely rewarding.

4. I feel a strong sense of warmth toward all fellow human beings.

5. There are few mornings when I wake up feeling refreshed and excited about the day.

6. I find humor in things even when others may not and also laugh at least once a day.

7. Past events are affecting my ability to live in the present, and look forward to the future.  

8. I have no control over my own life, because I normally let the opinions of others take the wheel.

9. I spend more time feeling like I don’t belong versus understanding my true place in this world.

10. Life is BEAUTIFUL and so am I!

Currently, I am still considering the best technique to calculate individual scores, and would appreciate any ideas or feedback in this area. 

1 comment:

  1. i think there so many reasons to be very happy. i am extremely happy.i have a great life and i am surrounded by people that i love and who love me. seems it makes no diff how bad off i think i am there are always many more who are in a lot worse shape than i am. so i am very thankful for everything i have. life is good and i love it

    ReplyDelete