Saturday, June 15, 2013

STATEMENT OF LEADERSHIP (EXAMPLE)

When considering what leadership means to me, I would define it as one who creates conditions that help a group or organization effectively accomplish a specific set of goals and/or objectives. Ensuring adequate leadership is important because it can propel and advance most areas within our current social and economic structure. In order to be an effective leader, I also believe that some of the most important elements are as follows:
·         High level of organizational skills and an eye for detail
·         Be able to provide goals that are clear and attainable for the group
·         Involves all people within the group and offers continuous praise for good effort
·         Be willing to take on the tasks that are required from the group to lead by example
·         Always be respectful, ethical, enthusiastic, and encouraging to everyone in the group
After considering these major elements, I also believe that they have become a part of who I am due to certain leaders who have inspired me in my personal and professional life. This initially began from the daily guidance, support, encouragement, and leadership style that was continuously offered by my own parents. My father was a sergeant major in the United States Army and my mom worked for AAFES which is also known as the PX. They taught me and my siblings, that people must always strive to be the best they can be and to always try and help others achieve this goal whenever possible. One example of this is when I decided to become an artist during childhood, and my mother supported every aspect of that personal goal to help build my overall level of artistic skill. This ultimately led to my current artistic hobby, which is designing Sharpie Marker books that are intended to reach children & adolescents who are experiencing thoughts & issues that make them feel alone or completely lost in the world. I'm hoping that the words and pictures will help them understand that most of what they feel and think is completely normal & we all have the same exact mental struggles. They just need to be strong & we'll all get through it together. Spreading this message to that age group is also more important to me than all the money in the world, so I have never charged a penny for any of the work. Prior to beginning the 1st book, my mother also passed away from an unexpected heart attack, so one other goal is to keep her memory and 35 years of support, encouragement, and leadership skill alive by continuing on with this work.
Furthermore, I also believe that the people in my professional life who inspired me the most to want to become a leader, are previous teachers. This inspiration began when I was in my senior year of high school, with an English teacher who taught me that I had a special skill for writing. She then continuously worked to foster and increase this level of ability with constant praise and positive feedback. After graduating, I got my first job at a daycare center because I wanted to give back to other students like she had done with me. This assistant daycare provider position then led to becoming a substitute teacher at the same high school were I had initially experienced this outstanding leadership skill from a caring and compassionate English teacher. Since then, I have worked with countless children in the local area because it’s my goal to offer them a more positive and fulfilling quality of life. Working in this field, has also become one of my main interests because there are so many children who are hurting and they just need someone to reach out and offer help. Therefore, one of my future goals as a leader is to create and implement programs that cater to the individual needs of children, adolescents and young adults.


2 comments: